Civil Partnership Dissolution

A relationship breakdown is an upsetting time, and the thought of all the practical considerations involved can leave you feeling overwhelmed. If your civil partnership has broken down, and you and your partner are separating, you may feel unsure of the next steps to take in the process. At Jordans Solicitors, our experienced civil partnership solicitors are here to help you through this difficult time, and ready to guide you through the civil partnership dissolution process or a separation.

How Jordans Solicitors can Help with Civil Partnership Dissolution

Our experienced civil partnership solicitors help both same-sex and heterosexual couples in civil partnerships to reach a positive outcome to the dissolution of their civil partnership. Our expert team will navigate you through the dissolution process with sensitivity and will work hard to help you to achieve the best possible result. Here are some of the areas that we can advise you on if your civil partnership breaks down:

  • Complete dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Obtaining a Separation Order from the family court
  • Division of your assets
  • Agreeing arrangements for children, such as contact and child maintenance payments

Get in touch with our specialists

Call us on either 0121 559 2922 or 0121 585 3900 for a friendly, no obligation consultation.

How do Civil Partnership Dissolutions and Separations Work?

A civil partnership can be ended via a process called civil partnership dissolution where an application is made to the court for a Dissolution Order. If your situation is reasonably straightforward, dissolving your civil partnership should only take between four to six months. In more complex cases, the process may take longer than this. 

If you have been in your civil partnership for less than a year, a Dissolution Order cannot be granted. In these circumstances, you can apply to the court for a Separation Order instead.

To dissolve a civil partnership, you must have reasonable grounds to do so. Therefore, you must be able to prove the irretrievable breakdown of your relationship for one of the following reasons:

  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Desertion
  • Two year’s separation with consent from your partner to dissolve the partnership
  • Five year’s separation - consent from your partner is not needed

If you would like to separate from your partner, but do not want to dissolve the civil partnership at this stage, a Separation Order can be applied for. A Separation Order is granted by the Family Court. To obtain a Separation Order, you must be able to prove one of the following reasons for the separation:

  • Unreasonable behaviour from your partner
  • Desertion
  • You have lived apart from your partner for more than two years, and both of you are in agreement for a Separation Order to be granted
  • You have lived apart from your partner for more than five years - agreement from a partner is not needed

If you are looking for civil partnership solicitors to help you with a civil partnership dissolution, Jordans Solicitors can help. Get in touch with our expert team today to arrange an interview and let us advise you on your best course of action. Call us on 0121 585 3900 (Halesowen) or 0121 559 2922 (Blackheath).

worried man

Find Out More

With our years of experience, we can help find the right solution for your situation.

Ask away! We're always happy to answer your questions.

Please enter your name.
Please enter a subject.
Please enter a valid phone number.
Please enter a message.

We promise to respect your privacy. We won't send you unsolicited 'junk' email or share your data with anyone else who might. See our Privacy Policy for details.

You must accept the Terms and Conditions.